The fight for top talent. How to make the most of the HOT job market.
Have you noticed that right now the job market is HOT! Many organisations are falling over themselves to keep their best people or poach top talent from elsewhere.
The reason for this is twofold.
Firstly, with international borders closed and likely to remain closed for some time yet, organisations are unable to rely on employing talent from around the globe, leaving a shortage of skilled professionals.
Secondly, the shakeup created by COVID has left many people reassessing their priorities and professional future. With high levels of burn out and increased opportunities for working from anywhere – many are choosing to take time out of the workforce or moving on to work for themselves.
What does this mean?
High quality talent is in demand. This puts you in the box seat to secure a promotion with your current employer or a new role in a different organisation – with a pay rise and the flexibility you could only dream about 2 years ago.
But there are a few things you need to be doing now to make the most of this very unique time in history to put yourself in a powerful position.
How to position for the best opportunities.
1. Know what you want. If you don’t know what you want… it’s difficult to position yourself for it. Lack of clarity leads to confusion and keeps you stuck where you are for way longer than is good for your career.
2. Be valuable. Being useful, helpful and reliable is nice but being valuable is what will make you highly sought after. To tap into the best opportunities, you must be able to clearly articulate the value you offer your current or future employer?
But being able to articulate your value is not enough. It’s then about ensuring that you are working towards solving the big issues, delivering the results most needed or contributing in ways that have you being recognised for your leadership? Be intentional and focus your time and energy on those activities that showcase the value you deliver for the business.
3. Raise your profile. No more flying under the radar, hoping that your good work will speak for itself. I know that it should, but it won’t! It’s time to speak about the work you’re doing, the results you and your team are achieving and how you are contributing to the organisations most important goals. Being a well-kept secret will not give you access to the best opportunities.
4. Pimp your LinkedIn. A well thought out LinkedIn profile is a must for all professionals. You can no longer hide behind the excuse of “I’m a private person” or “It’s a waste of time.” LinkedIn is a professional tool that all we should be embracing. It is increasingly being used by recruiters and organisations to find top talent. You are limiting your opportunities if you are not leveraging LinkedIn!
5. Be intentional and stay focused. It is time to get strategic and focused on what you want. Yes… it may even be time to create a plan. Get clear on what actions you will take and what changes you will implement to put yourself in a great position to take advantage of the best opportunities that are out there.
Now is not the time to be complacent about your professional development. This window of opportunity will be brief. The job market will not remain hot for long. So, although you may be feeling tired, frustrated and bored or even struggling with mental fatigue as a result of the ongoing lockdowns and long periods of working from home, if you are ready to take the next step in your career – now is the time to act.
Get clarity. Get visible. Get out there. And get ready to seize onto this unique moment in time.
Like some help to make the most of the HOT job market? Click here, answer a few questions and book a Leadership Support Session with me.