If you are thinking that this is going to be your breakthrough year where you finally get that promotion you have been craving, it is time to start positioning yourself for what you want. Staying silent, flying under the radar and purely working hard and doing a good job simply will not work.
Gone are the days that you can wait to be “tapped on the shoulder.” I know it has possibly worked for you in the past. I hear it all the time from smart, successful women. They tell me that their career success up to this point has come to them purely through hard work and good luck.
But to get the more senior leadership roles, a new way of thinking is required. You need to be more strategic, more intentional and position yourself to be considered for the best opportunities.
To do this effectively, the most important question of all is….
Do you know where you want your career to head?
If you don’t have the answer to this question… it’s pretty difficult to position yourself for it.
Many of the women who have attended the Inspired Leadership Intensive (a 1 day workshop for professional women) have come along with their career at a crossroads. They had experienced success and had been given many great opportunities along the way. Until one day they found themselves in a place where they knew they wanted something different but lacked clarity and direction of what that looked like.
Through learning how to positioning themselves effectively, these women have snapped up new and exciting opportunities – often much more quickly than they thought would be possible.
So how ready are you for promotion and what are you doing now to position yourself for that next step?
It’s your career – it’s time to take the reins and manage it!
Here are 7 keys to position yourself for promotion
1. Get career clarity. Without clarity of where you are going, it is very likely you will end up some place you would rather not be. If you are not sure about the specifics then start with what you do know for certain. Things like; do you want to lead a big team or just a few highly skilled people? What type of products or service is of most interest to you? What new skills or experience do you ideally want to be exposed to in the next position?
2. Do Great Work. This might seem obvious, but still needs to be said. You will only get promoted if you do great work. Why on earth would anyone trust you to do a bigger role if you aren’t doing this one well… all of the time!
3. Stay on the radar. It is time to be seen, heard and recognised for the good work you do. No more flying under the radar. Speak up in meetings let your opinion be heard.
Get involved in the high profile projects where you can showcase your skills to a broader group of people. Let others know of your accomplishments – in an authentic non-sales-y way.
4. Build positive relationships. Relationships are everything when it comes to stepping into the next phase of your career. Taking time out to meet up with key people either within your organisation or externally is a critical step towards positioning for your next promotion. Who do you know who could assist you to secure your next position? Do they know what your career ambitions actually are??
5. Balance short term and long term thinking. Too often I see smart, successful women get caught up in the day to day actions and forgetting to flex their long term strategic muscle. It is important that you keep an eye on the organisations top priorities and longer term goals and make sure you are seen to be contributing to the achievement of those goals.
6. Develop your executive presence. To be considered for an executive position, you must be seen as an executive. The way you show up around the office, in meetings, in the tearoom matters. This might mean giving your wardrobe an overhaul, dropping the desire to gossip and learning how to work smarter not harder so you appear calm and in control of your workload.
7. Be intentional and stay focused. Ladies it is time to get strategic and focused on what you want. Yes… it may even be time to create a plan. Get clear on what actions you will take and what changes you will implement to fast track your way to positioning yourself for promotion.
Need to do some work to position yourself for your next promotion?
Check out The Leadership Connection, an exclusive 6-month results focused group program designed for smart professional women.